Sunday, January 23, 2011

Our Disneyland Thanksgiving, Part 3

Happy Thanksgiving to us! On this day, we were the most thankful for everyone's good health. Lorelai woke up Thursday morning after recovering from her stomach bug, and she was ready to go. Also thankfully, none of the rest of us were sick for the remainder of the trip. Time for fun!

On Thanksgiving Day, we'd planned to spend most of the time in California Adventure. But since it didn't open until later in the morning, we walked over to Disneyland to hop on a couple of rides...and meet Donald Duck, my favorite "Classic Disney" character! I enjoyed his cute sweater & matching earmuffs. The girls were a little weirded out by Donald, but they took it in good humor.

Then we visited one of Disneyland's most famous (and for some, most annoying) rides...

...It's A Small World. Nathan was reluctant to go, because he was afraid that song (you know the one I mean) would be stuck in his head for the rest of the day. We were in luck, though...Small World is another ride that's altered for the holiday season! It has holiday bling added to both the exterior and interior; each room had significant additions of "winter wonderland" and "holiday spirit"-themed animatronics in addition to the usual multicultural puppets. Best of all, the music involved "that song," alternated with a handful of Christmas carols. So it wasn't too bad. The kids, I suspect, experienced a bit of sensory overload.

After that, it was California (Adventure), here we come! Our first stop was Radiator Springs...

...what, you though only boys are excited about Cars? Lorelai was thrilled to see Lightning McQueen & Mater. I'm no NASCAR fan, but I thought these mock-ups were pretty cute, creepy moving eyes & all.

After looking around the park a bit, our family split up briefly; Lorelai & I tackled Grizzly River Run, a whitewater-rafting-style water ride that was a little wet and a lot of fun (and best of all, the line was very short, so we went on it two or three times!)

After that, we joined Daddy, Celeste & Aurora, who'd been entertaining themselves at one of the hidden treasures of California: the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail! This is a forest-themed, giant-sized playground, filled with slides, rope bridges, climbing walls, and logs to climb on (and through).

Apparently, the whole trail was modeled after the movie "Brother Bear," which no one saw but WHO CARES? This place was great. It sure beat standing in long line after long line to passively experience some mechanized super-ride; you were the one actively engaging your sense & having fun. You actually get real exercise doing all the climbing/walking/crawling/sliding/etc.
The woodsy setting actually helped us feel isolated from the noisiness & crowds of the rest of the park. Best of all, there weren't many people around, so we had the run of the place! If you have young children, I highly recommend the Challenge Trail area for your little ones to "unwind" in between visiting other attractions.
Then it was on to the unofficial "main hub" of California Adventure, Paradise Pier: it's designed to look & feel like an old-timey, Coney Island-style amusement park. It was very retro & cute, and our family found lots to do here. Daddy & I each took turns going on California Screamin', the only "real" roller-coaster in either park!
As you can see, Nate enjoyed it quite a bit. I even liked it, and I'm not a big roller-coaster fan. We also visited a few of the more traditional carnival rides, such as the Silly Symphony Swings, which became Lorelai's favorite ride of the whole vacation. She was not tall enough to ride the swings alone, so Nate & I would ride with her on the tandem swings...and since the wait time for the tandem swings was practically nonexistent, we went on this ride many, many times.
...yeah, anyway, just imagine this over & over, and you have a fair approximation of what our afternoon was like.

We also ate lunch in the Paradise Pier area (sourdough bread bowls & soup, yummy!), then checked out the seagulls on the lake and caught a glimpse of Santa in the upper pier area, visiting with kids (he's sitting in the pavilion just behind that tall Christmas tree). Lorelai used this sighting as ammo in our "does Santa exist?" argument that we had later that month.

We spent much of the afternoon waiting in the long line for the Toy Story Mania! attraction. Too bad there were no FastPasses for this thing, but what can you do? It's Toy Story, and the whole family loves it, and you've gotta go. We spent part of our wait being entertained by a giant talking Mr. Potato Head, who also serenaded us on occasion...

...and when we finally made it on the rides, we ended up having a lot of fun! It's more of a "game" than a ride; the little cart shuffles you from 3D screen to 3D screen, and you use your little pop-gun to toss virtual rings, and shoot virtual darts, eggs, baseballs, etc. The controls were pretty sensitive, and you played a random set of any of a dozen games narrated by the Toy Story characters.
 Your scores were posted afterwards. Theoretically, you could play over & over again and try to top the daily score charts, but I would never want to wait in that line more than once in any given day, so we forgot about that. Still, it was fun and (almost) worth the wait. Plus, we got to pose as superhero toys nearby:
I think we were all doing our best Buzz Lightyear impersonation...with varying degrees of success.

A quick rundown of a couple of other rides/attractions we enjoyed at California Adventure:

Tower of Terror. Nate went on this free-fall, Twilight-Zone-inspired ride about 3 times, but I never got up the nerve to go. He said it was lots of fun; I'll take his word for it (free-fall rides are not my favorite)

Soarin' Over California. A fun flight-simulation ride, in which you are elevated up in the air, and then watch an IMAX-sized screen as you fly over various scenic California locales. It's surprisingly exhilirating, and maybe too "peaceful" for some adrenaline junkies, but Lorelai & I really enjoyed it.

World of Color: This is California Adventure's new evening show, and it's a pretty amazing production involving water fountains, colored lights, and projected images. It's more a tone-poem with several interlocking themes, but it's gorgeous and engaging. Two caveats: it's late at night (about 9:00 or so), so little kids may not care about it much (Lorelai liked it at first, but was mostly bored & tired by the end). Also, if you really want to go, get there early, since not all the seating is very good (like the seating we ended up with).

Some other not-so-great things:

ElecTRONica. Bwahaha! I know California Adventure caters more to the teen/adult crowd than Disneyland, but this really seemed like they were trying too hard. I guess you've got to market your new holiday sci-fi movie somehow. Crazy neon lights, talking electronic robot tracking systems, and images from the upcoming film "Tron:Legacy" were sprinkled all over the Hollywood Backlot area of the park. Also, there was a DJ and some kooky Eurotrash dancers. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Daft Punk (who scored this film), but this was all a bit much.

A Bug's Land. Meh. We only went on one ride here (the kiddee flyers shown above), and were unimpressed. Nice try, but I guess A Bug's Life didn't exactly set our imaginations on fire.

Monsters Inc. Ride. Don't get me wrong, I actually quite like Monsters, Inc., but this ride didn't really do it for me. It was nothing more than a passive ride through major scenes in the movie. It was nicely made, but too conventional. It felt like a ride that belonged in Fantasyland, not shoehorned into the far corner of California Adventure. The highlight was a talking Roz figure at the end of the ride that seemed uncannily aware of the visitors (she told the guy in front of me with a camera to "be sure to get her good side," and in the next car she referred to a young woman by her shirt color. Hmm...)

Another thing I noticed about California Adventure was that much of it was still under construction. Several parts of Paradise Pier were completely closed off, as was much of the area adjacent to A Bug's Land. Word it that these new attractions will include a Little Mermaid-themed aquarium/water ride, and a whole new section of the park devoted to the Cars films, complete with go-kart racing. Cool.

In summation, California Adventure was more fun than I expected, but I think it has a way to go before it can give Disneyland a run for its money. It's not as thematically unified, and not quite as attractive. However, you can tell it's working hard on improving its image, and I suspect that when I visit here again (in a few more years), it will be even more fun. Then again, Nate said he liked it better than Disneyland itself, so what do I know? Of course, it does have more adult-themed rides, so maybe that's why he enjoyed it more.

When we arrived back at our hotel, tired & hungry, dinner was waiting for us...
...in the form of a Mexican chicken Crock-Pot casserole! I got the idea of cooking our own meals in the hotel room from a friend, who said she'd used her Crock-Pot  on her last Disneyland vacation. Before heading to the park that morning, we threw all the ingredients into the Crock-Pot, turned it on, put the "Do Not Disturb" sign on our hotel room door, and voila! A tasty, "home-cooked" meal that was probably more cost-effective than going to that darn IHOP again. It was probably the first time I've ever had a Mexican casserole for Thanksgiving dinner, but this was a special time!! Just one more day of park-hopping to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment