Tuesday, January 18, 2011

New Year, New Resolutions...Needed: NEW BOOKS

I've made some New Years' resolutions...it only took me about a month, but I finally did it!! One of those resolutions is to be more faithful at maintaining our family blog. I SWEAR I will finish posting our Disneyland pictures by the end of the week; the holidays have made me, at varying times, both too stressed to post and too much of a slacker to do so.

I have never been the best journal-keeper. My mission journal ends abruptly, almost to the day I became senior companion. COINCIDENCE?? As a married adult, I've rarely found time to jot down my thoughts--I've always been working full-time, either as an employee or as a mom. However, this month's Visiting Teaching message (that's "spiritual thought of the month," to you followers that aren't Mormon) dealt with family history and its importance. I'll be the first to admit that I've been very lax in doing my family's history...but maybe I can take baby steps towards that goal by keeping better track of my OWN family's history, as read in this blog.

Besides, I've always wanted to be an author/writer...and if I want those writing skills to continue improving, what better way is there than by WRITING...even if it's just to document my day and my thoughts? So here goes. I'll try to post in this blog more often--at least once a week or so. They may not always be coherent, or interesting, or pretty...but hopefully they'll be real and sincere and meaningful, at least to myself & my loved ones. But don't get too turned off...life is pretty silly lots of the time, and I hope to comment on that as well.

Now, to the second part of this post...a simple question! "Read any good books lately?"

NOTE: if you're already part of my book club, you don't need to read the next part... :)

As many of you perhaps know, I am part of a local book club with several friends. I really enjoy it...it's a group of women with diverse tastes & interests, which means I get to discover & read lots of good books I may not have found on my own. However, we've been doing this a few years, and sometimes we need fresh blood and/or ideas. In one week, we'll meet to plan our reading schedule for the next several months. I have a few great books in mind, but I'm always eager to hear about others.

That's where you, my gentle readers, come in. Are any of you in a book club of your own, or are you an avid reader on your own? Have you read a book recently you really enjoyed and would recommend to others? It can be any genre, fiction or nonfiction, you name it! Just leave a comment (here or on the Facebook link) that includes the book title and author's name. I'm open to any suggestions!

Thanks for sharing the joy with me! Reading has always been one of my favorite activities, so thanks for contributing to my "habit"! Stay tuned for more updates from our family. Here's a tease: WE'RE MOVING NEXT MONTH!

1 comment:

  1. I would recommend my friend Bridget's blog. She reads more than anyone I've ever met, and I usually agree wholeheartedly with her assessments. Don't let the fact that she likes Twilight scare you off, pretty much nothing else she reads is like that. this is her list of books she read last year.

    ReplyDelete